Skip to main content

Tribute to Fashion Icon: Lilly Pulitzer

Iconic fashion designer Lilly Pulitzer Rousseau passed away on Sunday in Palm Beach, Florida at the age of 81. She is known for her colorful women's dresses, tunics, accessories and footwear. An official statement posted on the company Facebook page states that "...we will celebrate all that Lilly meant to us. Lilly was a true original who has brought together generations through her bright and happy mark on the world."

Lilly's journey serves as an inspiration to everyone in the fashion industry!  According to a Sports Illustrated article from 1968, her career grew from her desire for comfort while working on her husband's citrus grove. Not only was Lilly selling orange juice, but she was receiving inquiries for the colorful shift dresses that she made for herself..later known as the "Lilly's." 

The biggest triumph in Lilly's career came when her schoolmate, former first lady Jacqueline Kennedy was photographed in one of her dresses. "They took off like zingo. Everybody loved them, and I went into the dress business," Lilly stated in her book, Essentially Lilly: A Guide to Colorful Entertaining.

Please enjoy these great behind the scene photos of Lilly at work!

Jackie O in Lilly Pulitzer in the 60's 




Photos are courtesy of BING

Comments

  1. I have a lot of her clothing! I kept my daughter in her clothing too! #mommyandme

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that despite the times...the clothing remained in her fabulous prints!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Roy Booted; Tory Burch Named New Columnist for Luxury Magazine

photo Courtesy of toryburch.com Sources from Women's Wear Daily reports that designer Tory Burch will replace the current "Ask a Designer" columnist and designer, Rachel Roy , as InStyle's new resident expert. Continuously expanding her brand, Burch is doing an amazing job keeping her consumers in the fashion loop via The Tory Blog . She recently acquired an 80,000 SF space in the trendy Hudson Square area to put her in the "heart of creativity."

Dove Missed the Mark with Recent Facebook Ad

A recent Facebook ad ran by the Unilever brand, Dove, completely missed the mark. The ad displays a black woman transforming into a white woman after using their product. Dove issued an apology after makeup artist Naomi Blake reached out to the company to voice her concerns. The question is, would Dove have issued an apology or even pulled the ad if Blake didn't question their messaging? Well this isn't the first time the brand has been accused of releasing racist ads. Back in 2011, Dove ran an ad that displayed 3 women from lightest to darkest with the words "before" and "after." Indicating that the black woman had dry, undesirable skin and once you used the lotion, then your skin would be like the white woman. Again I ask, what is their message? Are they still using the same advertising agency? I guess they will be amongst the other companies hiring a new VP of Multicultural Marketing!

Tribute to Maya Angelou, The Phenomenal Woman

Today we said goodbye to one of the greatest orators of all time! Dr. Maya Angelou has served as an inspiration to millions through her words, actions, and commitment to civil rights. She was a living legend and her influence on our culture is priceless. Most noted for her poems, "Phenomenal Woman" and "Still I Rise," she instilled a sense of pride in women everywhere. In addition to these noted works, Maya Angelou has set the standard by being: - San Francisco's 1st African American female cable car conductor - 1st African American Woman to have her screenplay turned to film, Georgia I remember the first time I was introduced to Dr. Angelou's story in 4th grade. I'm not sure if I was suppose to be reading it, but my older sister had "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" laying around. All I could say was WOW! How could a girl just a few years older than me go through so much. From that point, I began to appreciate life and all that God ha...