Skip to main content

Fashion Review: BET Awards 2012


The 12th Annual BET Awards held at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles Sunday evening was definitely a show to remember. From the G.O.O.D music group opening with "Mercy" to an amazing tribute to the late Whitney Houston, BET did not disappoint viewers. Despite excellent production, many of the looks on this year's red carpet left much to be desired!

Best Female R&B Artist (Source: Michael Buckner/ Getty Images for BET)
We all love Queen Bey, but I'm not too sure if this Stephane Rolland Couture gown stole the show. The canary yellow color is amazing, but with Bey holding the excess fabric all night, we couldn't really appreciate the dress. Plus her fabulous belt could have used a little polishing...was everyone touching it backstage!
(Source: Fredrick Brown/Getty Images
(Source: Getty Images)
(Source: Getty Images)
The Ladies in White! Meagan Good graced the red carpet looking radiant in the white gown from BCBG. Eva Marcielle was giving Kim K a little competition with this similar backless dress. In my personal opinion, Kim K won hands down! Yes she has gained a little weight, but her curvaceous figure does this Tom Ford piece justice. Honestly, Eva's frock looks a little cheap and the orange pumps really aren't doing much for the ensemble.
(Source: Fredrick Brown/Getty Images)
Claudia Jordan worked the black carpet in this gray draped number that displays her effortless beauty!

(Source: Fredrick Brown/Getty images)
(Source: Getty Images)
Black & Yellow is one of this season's hottest trends, but let's avoid looking like a bumble bee. Tatiana Ali looks literally like a Queen Bee in this yellow peplum skirt, while Model Selita Ebanks combines it with a little tribal inspiration by Falguni & Shane Peacock.

Melanie Fiona never disappoints, I love this black jumpsuit and the plunging neckline is to die for.
 
(Source: Fredrick Brown/Getty Images)

Boring! Singer Michelle Williams and Actress Kerry Washington were apparently going for the washed out look. These nude looks did nothing for their figures or faces.  Wasn't Michelle just on Styled by June and Kerry should be serving up something Scandalus!
(Source: Jason Merritt/Getty Images)
(Source: Jason Merritt/Getty Images)

Monica always inspires my closet. I love the blazer and leggings combo, especially in this mauve color!

(Source: Jason Merritt/Getty Images)


(Source: Jason Merritt/Getty Images)
(Source: Jason Merritt/Getty Images)



Glamorous gowns! R&B Singer Letoya Lucket and  Rapper Lola Monroe brought a little glamour to the red carpet in gorgeous gowns.

(Source: Jason Merritt/Getty Images)
This color looks great with Yolanda Adam's complexion, but this dress needed just an extra touch of glam! Maybe a larger broach under the bust line would do the trick.

(Source: Jason Merritt/Getty Images)
I love Tamar's over the top personality, but I'm not a fan of the shoes with this look.  I'm all for this  abstract dress from Dominique Auxilly, but not with glitter pumps...may a black, lace peep toe!

(Source: Jason Merritt/Getty Images)
Regina King needs to exit stage left in this picnic get up! Who styled her?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rachel Roy Booted; Tory Burch Named New Columnist for Luxury Magazine

photo Courtesy of toryburch.com Sources from Women's Wear Daily reports that designer Tory Burch will replace the current "Ask a Designer" columnist and designer, Rachel Roy , as InStyle's new resident expert. Continuously expanding her brand, Burch is doing an amazing job keeping her consumers in the fashion loop via The Tory Blog . She recently acquired an 80,000 SF space in the trendy Hudson Square area to put her in the "heart of creativity."

Dove Missed the Mark with Recent Facebook Ad

A recent Facebook ad ran by the Unilever brand, Dove, completely missed the mark. The ad displays a black woman transforming into a white woman after using their product. Dove issued an apology after makeup artist Naomi Blake reached out to the company to voice her concerns. The question is, would Dove have issued an apology or even pulled the ad if Blake didn't question their messaging? Well this isn't the first time the brand has been accused of releasing racist ads. Back in 2011, Dove ran an ad that displayed 3 women from lightest to darkest with the words "before" and "after." Indicating that the black woman had dry, undesirable skin and once you used the lotion, then your skin would be like the white woman. Again I ask, what is their message? Are they still using the same advertising agency? I guess they will be amongst the other companies hiring a new VP of Multicultural Marketing!

Tribute to Maya Angelou, The Phenomenal Woman

Today we said goodbye to one of the greatest orators of all time! Dr. Maya Angelou has served as an inspiration to millions through her words, actions, and commitment to civil rights. She was a living legend and her influence on our culture is priceless. Most noted for her poems, "Phenomenal Woman" and "Still I Rise," she instilled a sense of pride in women everywhere. In addition to these noted works, Maya Angelou has set the standard by being: - San Francisco's 1st African American female cable car conductor - 1st African American Woman to have her screenplay turned to film, Georgia I remember the first time I was introduced to Dr. Angelou's story in 4th grade. I'm not sure if I was suppose to be reading it, but my older sister had "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" laying around. All I could say was WOW! How could a girl just a few years older than me go through so much. From that point, I began to appreciate life and all that God ha...